Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Recipe

The past couple of weeks I have been trying to make at least one new thing a week for dinner. Last week I made Sassy sausage and black bean soup (substituting the beef sausage for spicy Italian sausage). It was definitely a hit in the Glupker house and I'm looking forward to making that again soon.

This week I made a new salad... arugula with roasted salmon and new potatoes. I don't say this very often but thank you Martha Stewart for this recipe. I never new I liked arugula so much. I'm already thinking of different ways I can use what I have left over...get ready Josh, I think I see some pasta with arugula in our future this weekend.


I must tell you, as I was preparing this dinner I started thinking, I'm not so sure Josh is going to enjoy this new recipe. He has always been good about eating whatever I prepare for dinner but it sometimes take some time to ease him into new things, such as this salad. So for those who don't quite like the bite the arugula lettuce has, you can do half arugula and half spinach. That was the first amendment I made to Josh's salad. Second, as I was preparing the dressing (Dijon mustard, EVOO, white wine vinegar, and chives) I started to really worry Josh would totally reject this new recipe. So I substituted his dressing for something I knew he would prefer. Josh came downstairs as I was assembling the salads and asked for his potatoes on the side (third amendment). Of course, of course, I said still kind of nervous about what he would think of the meal. Then he saw me put the potatoes in my salad and he asked me, How are you going to get your ketchup on your potatoes if you put them in your salad? I responded, I'm not using any ketchup tonight. Let me just tell you he was more than shocked. This kid loves his ketchup and when I say love I mean he puts ketchup on his ketchup he loves it so much.

After we were able to move past me not using ketchup on my potatoes, we sat down and really enjoyed the meal. Josh loved his salad with potatoes on the side and I loved it with the potatoes in the salad.

If anyone happens to make either of these recipes and doctors them up in their own special way, I'd love to hear what you did. I definitely give both of these recipes gold stars and will be making them again soon!

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about Josh and the ketchup! My Josh is that same way! I think you need to give cooking classes! I love reading about your exciting new recipes....you are inspiring me to cook more exciting meals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You spit sick game in the kitchen, sister.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...